Basic Kayaking Information
Whether it is carrying a kayak or simply getting into it, every person who has endeavored to paddle a kayak has found that some tasks are simply easier said than done. This section is designed to help you with those overlooked, yet essential, aspects of paddling a kayak.
- 10 Reason Kayaks are Better
- How to Carry a Kayak
- How to Get Into a Kayak
- How to Exit a Kayak
- How to Empty a Kayak
- Setup and Sit in a Kayak
- How to Tuck When Upside-Down in a Kayak
- How to "Wet" Exit a Kayak
- How to Put On a PFD
- How to Hold a Kayak Paddle
- The Anatomy of a Paddle Stroke
- Strap a Kayak to a Roof Rack
- Strap 2 Kayaks to a Roof Rack
- How to Put On Paddling Gear
Almost anyone can get in a kayak and paddle it around. It is only in advancing past those basic skills that one can truly enjoy the sport and all that kayaking has to offer. Kayaking is all about being one with the kayak and the freedom found in doing so just inches above the surface of the water. Begin to learn these skills to get just one step closer to this goal.
- The "Paddler's Box"
- How to Take a Forward Stroke
- How to Take a Backstroke
- The Kayak Draw Stroke
- Learn to Hip-Snap Your Kayak
- Learn the "Buddy Roll"
- Learn the Eskimo Roll
- How to Roll a Kayak: Skill Progression
- "Hand of God" Kayak Rescue
- Kayak T-Rescue Part 1
- Kayak T-Rescue Part 2
- Paddle Float Rescue Tutorial
- Sea Kayaking Safety Rescues
- Whitewater Kayaking Safety Rescues
Everyone knows that you need a paddle to go kayaking. But what else is needed? And not only what else is needed, but how do you pick out all of that equipment? These articles will help you on your way to your next kayak or kayak equipment purchase.
- The Essential Kayak Equipment
- Choosing the Right Kayak Paddle
- Choosing the Right Kayak Helmet
- 10 Safety Items to Have and Wear While Kayaking
- Kayak Gear Storage Tips
- Gear to Bring on an Overnight Kayaking Trip
- Overnight Kayak Trip Gear Checklist
- Full-Cut Kayak Helmet
- Half-Cut Kayak Helmet
- 5 PFD Tips
- Olympic Canoe/Kayak Gear and Competition
- How To Use a Paddle Float
- How to Pack a Throw Rope Bag
- Sea Kayaking Safety Gear
- Whitewater Safety Gear
If you've been kayaking for a few years and have mastered the above kayaking techniques you're probably thinking of what else you can do to take your paddling to the next level. Here are some topics in kayaking for you to consider.