Your Guide to the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
By George Sayour, About.com Guide
The days leading up to the Olympics are a wonderful time wrought with anticipation. With 16 canoe/kayak events and 14 rowing events in the Summer Olympics, athletes who enjoy these sports will have the rare opportunity to watch the very best compete on TV.
In canoe/kayak we can look forward to the thrills, excitement, precision, and speed of the slalom and flatwater events. And in rowing, the United States has a long and prestigious tradition to uphold and multiple medals to defend in Beijing. Whatever your discipline you prefer, the Summer Olympics has something for you to watch, enjoy, and celebrate.
- Olympic Canoe/Kayak and Olympic Rowing Basics
- Olympic Canoe/Kayak and Olympic Rowing Selection and Athletes
- Olympic Canoe/Kayak and Olympic Rowing History
- Olmpic Canoe/Kayak and Olympic Rowing Image Gallerys
Olympic Canoe/Kayak and Olympic Rowing Basics
There is a lot to the Olympic sports of Canoe/Kayak and Rowing. The types of boats, number of people in each boat, length of race, and type of course are all different depending on the specific event. The terminology in rowing can be even more confusing than the rowing events themselves. These articles will help you sift through all of the confusion and understand what is going on in these events.
- Everything You Could Possibly Want to Know about Olympic Canoe/Kayak
- Everything You Could Possibly Want to Know about Olympic Rowing
- What is Olympic Canoe/Kayak
Olympic Canoe/Kayak and Olympic Rowing Selection and Athletes
It is a long and hard road to qualify for the Olympic team in any sport. Canoe/Kayak and Rowing are no exceptions. Very few people can understand the amount of dedication, determination, and hard work that is required to even make it to this level of athletic prowess, let alone actually qualify for the teams. Here you will find out about the selection process as well as meet the athletes that will be representing the United States in these sports and the competitors they will have to face.
- The Road to the Olympic Canoe/Kayak Team
- The Road to the Olympic Rowing Team
- Meet the United States Olympic Canoe/Kayak Team
- Meet the Top United States Olympic Rowing Team Members
- The Top International Olympic Canoe/Kayak Competitors
- The Top International Olympic Rowing Competitors
Olympic Canoe/Kayak and Olympic Rowing History
Olympic Rowing and Olympic Canoe/Kayak both have very interesting histories. Olympic Rowing has been on the Olympic roster of sports since the very beginning. Olympic Canoe/Kayak has had events added a removed a number of times in the years since it first became contested in the Olympics. These articles will help you get a feel for the history of these most ancient of sports in the Olympic Games.
- Greatest Moments in Olympic Canoe/Kayak
- Greatest Moments in Olympic Rowing
- Past Olympic Canoe/Kayak Medalists
- Past Olympic Rowing Medalists
Olmpic Canoe/Kayak and Olympic Rowing Image Gallerys
There is no better way to get excited for the Olympics than to see photos and images of the athletes in action. These images galleries will give you a taste of what to expect at the games. They're also a fantastic way to get acquainted with the equipment the athletes use while competing in their sports. Be sure to check out the image gallery of the brand new state-of-the-art facility where all of these events will be taking place this summer.